Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Wednesday 8 June 2016

Hot hot hot (rock)

A great weekends climbing was had by me and Ben. Due to the dry sunny and settled weather we headed to Eagle Crag in Patterdale on Saturday to climb the classic 150m Eagle Front, a route of great notoriety that they say should only be considered during a dry period.

Eagle Crag further back centre (kind of)

Nearly there
I made a minor (nearly major) gaff by forgetting my water bottle and only discovering this after walking up hill for 30 minutes. Annoyed with myself for not checking my bag after packing it the night before I had to improvise and use a waterproof rucksack liner to gather water from the stream!! The route was fun, and we were lucky with the weather (not too crazy hot ).

Old pegs (and flower) on the nail ledge belay

Ben following the brilliant 7th pitch
Sunday saw another early start and red hot weather as we walked in to Dow Crag at 8.30am (I think). Wow was it hot, glad I had water this time. We were early (ish) but not the first there. We avoided the crowds and headed to Easter Gully (the amphitheatre) and climbed Great Central Route a 'brilliant' HVS. It packed a lot in, with a strenuous 5b (I think) crack/off width and amazing top pitch. I love the guidebook description 'A climb of great character up the imposing pillar......'. It was so hot that after this route all we could do is cool off in the lake before ice-creams in Coniston!!



No comments:

Post a Comment