Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Tuesday 29 December 2015

Garburn Pass and Kentmere

At last a sunny day without rain - is what the various weather sites predicted. This wasn't quite the case, but it is the Lake District so I don't know why I believed them.

damp under foot (wheels)

But great skies
I was a little annoyed with myself for not taking a waterproof (probably the only time I haven't packed one) as Steve and I left the parking at Wilf's (Staveley) and got quite wet in a persistent rain shower that soaked me to the skin. Luckily after 30 minutes it stopped, and things improved.



We headed over on the soggy bridleways to Whiteside End and Kentmere, the weather being pretty atmospheric with sun, cloud,  rain, sun, cloud, drizzle etc.

The 3 witches' trees
The Garburn Pass (449m) was the next objective. Its an odd route over the pass on a bike, consisting of lots of pushing and lifting the bike up the steep track up to the pass.

The start of the climb to the Garburn Pass
 When you are ascending this old trade route you wonder why you are bothering, but when you (eventually) get to the pass and are presented with the extensive views and a lot of (newly resurfaced) downhill the hard work is quickly forgotten.

The reward - lots of downhill




No comments:

Post a Comment