Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Sunday 3 March 2013

Stanage quick hit and marmalade........

My original idea was to have a day in the Peak District, catch up with family, boulder and collect the marmalade order from my mum! Things don't always go to plan.....

It was weird (in a good way) being back on the grit stone for my first rock routes of the year. We were the first climbers at Stanage (9.30am), but rest assured plenty of others turned up soon afterwards.

Grumpy bear 'Ben' - was annoyed because it was 2C when we arrived (colder than Cumbria!)
I'd forgotten the 'joys' of the rounded breaks, and jamming - fantastic! We climbed 8 great classic routes at the popular end and were back in 'the North' by 5.30pm.

Ben following up April Crack

Another 'bod' on Hargreaves Original - one of the best (delicate) VS's at Stanage

For the geeks (me!) we climbed:

Oblique Crack S 4a
Narrow Buttress VS 4c
Christmas Crack HS 4a
Soft Shoe HS 4c
Robin Hoods right hand Buttress Direct HS 4a
April Crack Hs 4b
Central Trinity VS 4c
Right Hand Trinity S 4a

Narrow Buttress, with a cheeky overhanging (juggy) finish

So basically a brilliant days climbing at Stanage, didn't see my family, or collect the marmalade! Just hope my sisters don't tell that I was in Derbyshire and didn't visit home (eek)!


Robin Hoods right hand Buttress Direct - a classic easy route. Its still really good fun, because its so rounded and the crack's so wide! Hone those grit skills lad!
This post is part in memory of Steve H, who was a keen grit aficionado, who taught me much, sadly now retired from climbing living the good life on the Costa del Plymouth/South Coast!
Notice I didn't bother with gear at the start (!) to reduce rope drag. Inverted V to the left (another great VS). I was going to lead this until we noticed a 'poo' right at the top out of the route - so we gave it a miss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment