Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Coed Brenin Enduro 2014

Saturday 10 November 2012

The Garburn Pass - Mountain biking

I managed to get an exciting new job this week and wanted to celebrate by going on a big mountain bike ride this weekend. The weather forecast for Saturday wasn't that great so I decided on a shorter but challenging route.

The Garburn Pass (old road byway - 449m) is a right of passage for any mountain biker in the Lakes area. You have to decide which way you tackle it, both having pro's and con's! I mulled this over on the drive up to Staveley in the rain! This would be the 6th or 7th time I've tackled it from various directions and routes, I'll never forget the first time, it felt epic.

It's very steep, rocky and technical. The choice is whether you want to ride up the less technical side (still hardcore), and descend the gnarly side (very hardcore - think double black), or push up most of the steeper side and then have the better descent.

I opted for the latter, which then meant on the way over to it I had the classic blast down to Kentmere Hall as well. It was a cool ride and very wet. Annoyingly I had forgotten to charge my camera, so only got 2 pictures before the battery went flat. I'd forgotten just how rough it was and as I pushed up the steep side of the pass a rider passed me pushing her £3k Orange Five down the hill, come on girl!! (obviously I didn't say this - I politely said hello!).

Near the top of the pass 3 riders head off...

At the top it was very atmospheric (damp!), and I saw 3 riders heading the opposite way to me. Now was the bit I had been waiting for - the descent! Wow, it had changed since I was last here, some of it had been washed out, and created holes and channels up to 2-3 feet deep in places (crazy). Super technical but fun! I lost concentration for 1 milli-second and got thrown off by a wet rock, whilst switching channels. A few bruises and dented pride was all I had to show for this silly mistake.

A fantastic 15 mile blast in the Lakes on a damp day!! Brilliant.

muddy, cold and satisfied - glad to have a cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment